Reusable cups, also known as ‘Keep Cups’ are cups that you can use instead of getting a coffee cup. You simply give the barista your reusable cup when you order a tea / coffee and they’ll use that instead of using a coffee cup which will only add to the already massive landfills on our planets! Why should I use one?
1. Environment friendly – save the planet and animals
Takeaway coffee cups are a made up of both plastic and paper, which are very hard to separate and separation of the two materials is needed to recycle the cup.
Over 200 million coffee cups are sent to landfill every year in Ireland, this is broken down into 366 cups every minute that are thrown away! Half a million coffee cups are littered every day in the UK. This has a huge impact on the environment in many different ways such as:
- It kills our marine life by dirtying our oceans
- Increases pollution in the air which affects our quality of life
- Global warming – overall temperature of the earth is increasing which affects our forests, wildlife, water resources and human health.
- Your great grandchildren will appreciate it
There are over 1,000 cafes that give discount / incentives when you use a reusable cup! Some local DIT Cafes include:
- Food Monkey, Aungier Street (double stamps on loyalty card)
- Grumpy Mule Cafe – DIT Campuses
To find out where else you can get a discount, go to the Conscious Cup Campaign.
3. Sustainability is Sexy
You can even design your own keep-cup to match your fashion desires. Just go to the Keep Cup website and design your own!
Where can I get one?
- Stock ( beside Stephens Green shopping Centre)
- Sostrene and Greene, Georges Street
- Grumpy Mule Cafe’s
- Food Monkey, Aungier Street
- Network Cafe, Aungier Street