Being in the depths of winter in the second year of a pandemic, it wouldn’t be unusual to feel the effects on your mood and energy. So, we want to help you brighten up… literally!!!
It is more common than you may think to be struggling with Sessional Affective Disorder (SAD) in Ireland. The reason… living far from the equator, I know right- like the rain and cold wasn’t bad enough!
SAD appears to be more common among people who live far north or south of the equator. This could be due to decreased sunlight during the winter and longer days during the summer months.
There are many ways to help if you do feel you are struggling, of course the first port of call is to book an appointment with your GP. Research has shown that SAD Lamps/ Light Therapy is effective in treating SAD a long with a number of other conditions.
Reasons you may want to try light therapy
- Your doctor recommends it for seasonal affective disorder or another condition.
- You want to try treatment that is safe and has few side effects.
- You want to increase the effectiveness of antidepressant medication or mental health counseling (psychotherapy).
- You need to avoid antidepressant medications during pregnancy or while breast-feeding.
- It may allow you to take a lower dose of antidepressant medication.
Conditions it is used for
- Types of depression that don’t occur seasonally
- Jet lag
- Sleep disorders
- Adjusting to a nighttime work schedule
- Increased energy
- Better regulated sleep
- Improved mental health and moods
- Increased productivity and focus
- Improved memory
- Reduced anxiety
- Increased sexual function
- More regulated digestion and appetite
- You heal quicker/more efficiently
- Increased ability to learn more
- Lowered blood pressure
- Creates a well-lit environment
On a Budget
The soothing light begins to brighten 30 minutes before the set alarm time to gently wake the user. There are several noises to choose from as an optional additional alarm including a beep or one of five expertly recorded wake-up sounds – Blackbird, Osprey, Goats, Tree Frogs or Kitten Purring. In the evening the alarm can be set to a 30-minute dimming sunset to ease users into their slumber.
The Lumie Sunrise Alarm comes with additional features such as a warm white light for reading and the choice of 6 colours of light for a change of mood.
Pay Day Splurge
Lumie Bodyclock Spark 100 accurately mimics both sunrise and sunset patterns with its realistic light fading through pink, orange, and red. Users can set their preferred light intensity choosing between a warm glow or a bright, sunny room. In addition to extra alarm sounds, the clock is fit with a tap-snooze function.
Santa’s Wish List
The Lumie Bodyclock Shine 300 flaunts many additional features including adjustable sunrise and sunset settings from 15 to 90 minutes, an FM radio, daily/weekly alarms, and a selection of 14 alarm sounds.
Aisling Carey is a Student Advisor on Bolton Street Campus and Lucy Malone is a Student Advisor on Aungier Street Campus. You can find out more about the services that TU Dublin SU’s Student Advice Centre provide here.