You’ve found accommodation in Dublin and now you’re wondering what your rights. It is important to note that in digs this is a licence arrangement and the normal landlord and tenant laws do not apply only what is agreed between the parties.
What are my obligations as a tenant?
- Pay rent on time
- Pay other charges that are not specified in the letting agreement (Bins, Gas, etc.)
- Keep property in good order
- Inform the landlord if repairs are needed
- Give the landlord access for routine inspections (by appointment)
- Inform the landlord of who is living in the property
What are my landlords obliged to do?
- Provide a rent book
- Repair and maintain the structure of the property
- Reimburse tenants for any repairs they carry out which are your responsibility
- Ensure the tenant knows how to contact you
- Give the tenants 28’ days’ notice of a rent review or termination
- Provide tenants with a valid and written notice of terminations
Threshold are a registered charity whose goal is to secure a right to housing.
They offer advice in the areas of
- Seeking Private rented accommodation
- Dealing with problems during your tenancy
- How to end a tenancy
For support from DITSU please drop into any of our Student Advisor Offices or contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
And…welcome to Dublin!